8 Reasons Why You Should Have Gone To Alive @ Five
Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Blues Traveler
Photographs: Nina Giordano
This week’s Alive @ Five had to be one of my favorites of all time. The weather was great, the crowd was vivacious, and all I could think about was how bad everyone who didn’t go to see Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Blues Traveler would feel Friday morning while the rest of their coworkers and friends who went got to have some old-fashioned fun at Columbus Park! As I scouted the crowd, I talked to a bunch of Fairfield County residents who gave me their top reasons why their friends and colleagues would be jealous the next day.
1. The Music: “You can relive your childhood and enjoy music you used to listen to!” —Jason
If you loved the 90’s, you definitely would have loved getting a great spot on the grass in the middle of Stamford with hundreds of other fans. Yes, we saw you dancing… hashtag no shame!
2. The Price: “If you like live music, you can’t beat $5!” —Mark
Tickets for Alive at Five are only five bucks before 6 p.m. After 6, they double in price — so get there fast! Tell your boss you have somewhere to be and people to see!
3. You’d Know All The Words: “These bands sound just like they did years ago - it’s authentic, organic, and awesome!” —Sonia
If you were looking for a place to do some shameless karaoke in public, the center of Stamford was the place to be! Classics like “Fly,” “All Star,” and “Devil Went Down To Georgia” got the crowd dancing and singing all night!
4. The Atmosphere: “There’s chill people, a cool environment and good music!” —Leslie
What other kind of place has great food, drinks, and music all in one place? You won’t see anyone having a bad time at Alive at Five!
5. All Of Your Friends Were There: “With great drinks and good music from my childhood, it’s the perfect time to spend with friends!” —Jess
Sounds like another case of #FOMO… Facebook photos from the night before just won’t cut it.
6. The Food: “The food is good and the music is even better!” —Jay
I caught up with Jay and his friends at Tiernan’s. They had a great view of the Bud Light stage as well as a fenced-in area for diners in a quasi-patio on the street. It’s open and easy to maneuver with a “boardwalk” feel. Many other restaurants in Columbus Park also have chairs and tables for outdoor dining. Food for your stomach and music for your ears!
7. TGIT: “Blues Traveler is a classic band, it’s the place to be on a Thursday night.” —Kevin
Thank God it’s Thursday! The weekend is around the corner, why not give yourself a head start and reward yourself for all the hard work you’ve done?
8. It’s Summertime: “It was a rockin’ performance by Smash Mouth, it’s an epic time to jam to music.” —Drew
Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Blues Traveler were hands down the most popular bands during any 90’s summer. Props to Downtown Stamford for picking a fantastic setlist this year!