The Way it Was
Photos of historic Stamford
Atlantic Square, where all trolley lines converged. Town Hall, to the left, was the site of private and municipal offices, including the Town Clerk’s and the city’s transportation depot. The trolley in front of Town Hall is headed south on Atlantic Street. A February 1904 fire gutted the building. The current Beaux Arts “Old Town Hall” on Atlantic and Main was built in 1907.
The flag-topped Shippan House hotel, built in 1870 and originally known as the Ocean House, boasted a bathhouse and casino. The waterfront peninsula, now a residential neighborhood, was then known for its grand hotels and vacation cottages.
The Baptist Church on The corner of Broad and Atlantic, where Landmark Square now stands.
Photographs reprinted with permission from Stamford by Bonnie K. Bull. Available from the Publisher at arcadiapublishing.com, or calling 888-313-2665.